Friday, March 3, 2017

More of Fredericksburg, Texas and the Surrounding Area

Since we were only changing campsites in the same town, it didn't take us long to travel to our new site, get set up and continue our adventures. Gillespie County Fairgrounds is located near Fredericksburg's airport, south west of town. It is also in close proximity to Lady Bird Johnson's RV Park, Golf Course and Nature Area.

When we first arrived, we had the entire parking area to ourselves. The boondocking area is what would normally be the parking area during large events at the fairground.
 On Thursday we decided to head north to Enchanted Rock State Natural Area to do some hiking and geocaching. We had heard that the park fills quickly on the weekends so we chose a weekday to visit. On the way to the park, we saw signs that could be turned on to indicate the park was closed due to the number of visitors.

 Once we got our bearings and looked at the trails, we decided to hike the loop trail around Enchanted Rock. Enchanted Rock reminded us both of Stone Mountain in Georgia because it is a giant rock towering over the other rocks in the area. Unlike Stone Mountain, the only way to the summit is to walk.
 Behind Enchanted Rock we discovered Moss Lake.
 It was a beautiful, clear day for hiking and geocaching. We found most of the caches, but the Texas State Park Challenge Cache was missing.
 As we were searching for one cache, I had a run-in with a pencil cactus. It gets it name because the segments look like pencils. Well, as I pointed out where I thought a cache was located, I took my eyes off the ground and I walked right through the middle of the cactus. I thought at first that it was just a bush until I looked down and saw the segments attached to both my shins! They didn't hurt until I started pulling them out. Thankfully, Bob had his knife with the tweezers and I was able to get the worst of them out before we moved on.
 We had a great hike, but it was a hot day so we cleaned up and went to Fredericksburg Brewery. We had an early dinner and a couple of beers.
 All in all, it was a perfect day in Fredericksburg.

No comments: