Thursday, April 7, 2016

On Our Way to a New to Us Park

After leaving Highlands Hammock we drove a grueling 45 miles to our next stop---Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park. Okay, the drive wasn't really grueling, in fact it was a nice smooth ride. Bob is really enjoying the drive!
 The park is located north of Lake Okeechobee in south central Florida.
 It is definitely away from 'civilization.' The entrance road is not paved, but is hard packed fine gravel. From the entrance to the campground is 4 miles.
 Bob parked Solei and immediately turned off the engine. I was outside and couldn't figure out what was wrong. I stay outside to watch to make sure the jacks all deploy. He looked to be reading a manual or something. I asked why he turned the engine off and he looked at me funny. I reminded him that the engine is supposed to be running when he puts the jacks down and the slides out! He laughed, he forgot the new set-up sequence!
 Once we got everything in place, it was time for a rest.

We spent the afternoon exploring the park near the campground. Yes, this is Florida, and yes, there are alligators.
Bob and I didn't see any gators on our first outing, but when we rode our bikes to get a geocache the next morning, Bob spotted this one sunning near a pond about 50 yards from the geocache. This is much smaller than the one on the news the same day that measured 14 1/2 feet long and over 800 pounds (it had been killing cattle on a local farm)!
I can say that we are definitely enjoying Solei! As with everything, there is a learning curve, but we are adapting well.
I've had requests for inside tour, so here goes. The front living area has a sofa on the left, a recliner with a side table, a large television over an electric fireplace.
 Next to the sofa is the bench dining area. The sofa and bench seat are on a slide.
 The kitchen back to the bedroom is also on a slide. I have more counter space in Solei than I did in our previous RV. Yes, that is a residential refrigerator at the edge of the picture. Surprisingly, it has much more room than I expected.

It is time for me to get moving--another hiking day---I'll continue the tour later!

No comments: